So the age of streaming is upon us, actually it has been upon us for two years now, ever since Spotify changed the playing field. I quite clearly waiting half an hour for an invitation to sign up before realizing that if I got the premium ten buck all access deal I wouldn’t have to wait and so I did it and have merrily coughed up my money ever since then.
Lo these many years later though the question is, is Billboard, is album an single sales, irrelevant and the answer is, if viewed in a vacuum maybe so but as part of the streaming, youtube, etc etc Itunes, so on universe they are valuable. And I bet if you compared this list of most popular Spotify tracks and Billboard sales, they would be knocking on identical.
Who are the stars? Ree, Flo Rida, Sia. Not hip hop, not r&b, definitelt not rock. It’s all pop EDM!
So here is really really short reviews and the actually Spotify list of the softwar streamings most popular songs. See you in hell, buster.
1. Somebody That I Used To Know – Gotye – Pseudo Police – C-
2. Call me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen – Exothermic hit which became a catchphrase and was then forgotten – B+
3. Thrift Shop – Macklemore And Lewis – The hook here took me forever to reveal itself, but that “this is fucking awesome” is a real biggie – B
4. Titanium (feat Sia) – David Guetta – Her huge voice never put to better use – A
5. We Are Young – fun. – Very smart power pop for a new decade – A
6. Don’t You Worry Baby – Swedish House Mafia – Helped usher in the whole new EDM song period of pop – B
7. We Found Love – Rihanna, Calvin Harris – Ree’s twice removed vocal has never sounded better – A
8. Diamonds – Rihanna – She doesn’t hav the song on this one – C+
9. Whistle – Flo Rida – Surprise hook – B+
10. Love The Way You Lie – Eminem, Rihanna -Sure, this is her third placing in the top ten and nobody else has two – C
11. Rolling In The Deep – Adele – Brutally big ballad – C-
12. Radioactive – Imagine Dragons – Rock and roll as a producers template? Not quite – C
13. Gangham Style – Psy – One hit wonder of all time – A
14. Hall Of fame – The Script, Wll I Am – Lame rocker – C-
15. Payphone – Maroon 5, Wiz Khalifa – Levine’s falsetto used to good effect here – B
16. Wild One feat Sia – Flo Rida – Second for both Flo and Sia and pretty good as well – B
17. Scream & Shout – Britney Spears And Will I Am – I always liked this but for some reason though the clever clever if instantly dance track tanked – B+
18. Some Nights – fun. – From the earliest days of stream… – A
19. Drive By – Train – Their latest died a death, right? – C-
20. Party Rock Anthem – LMFAO – Back when all they did was hustle – A
simultaneously self-effacing and egomaniacs
essentially a disco remix of “Rocket Man” featuring one of the the UK’s biggest stars…
“I literally really need you to jump up and down”
Friday night might kill us but Thursday evening is a blast
it just isn’t the triumph she needed after six years
an impressive sonic ride.
a high-spirited Post Pandemic anthem
a memorable band who were never better than here
almost Pink Floyd-esque