– Wanda Jackson, Best Coast at Club Nokia, at the very reasonable price of $28.50. If you want old school with new school, together in the same bill.
– Pink Martini at the Walt Disney Concert Hall $69-209
– Cults and Jenny and Johnny at the Standard Hollywood: this one is really over the top too, $75 to $125!! I wonder whether there is a meal with champagne coming with that?
– Buzzzbands New Year Eve at the Satellite with The Henry Clay People, Races, LA Font, Jillinda Palmer/ Joe Napolitano, and Paulie Pesh in the upstairs bar. This one is really cheap! $10-12
– Give Up the Ghost at a secret location which is the Ukrainian Center I think,…. But this show has sold out in a flash about 3 months ago already!!
– Musiq Soulchild at the House of Blues, $67.50 to $2000!!! (No comment on that one)
– TR3 featuring Tim Reynolds, Marcus Eaton at The Mint $35-40
– LA Guns featuring Dilana at Whiskey A Go Go, $20
– Semi Precious Weapons and Warner Drive with Beta Wolf, Benvenue, Ope at the Roxy Theater, $25-45.
– Goodie Tu Shoes NYE with Johnny Cash tribute band ‘With a Bible and a Gun’ at El Cid, a deal, $5.00 before 11 pm.
– Dirt Nasty, Andre Legacy, Beardo at The Viper Room, $35
– Death on the Radio, Fangs on Fur, the Gears, the Mau Mau at the Redwood Bar
– Glass Candy, Chromatics, Desire, Goddollars (DJ Set) at Los Globos, $25
– Beach Life Kings NYE Party at The Central SAPC $10.00 before 11pm, $15.00 after 11pm
And also, many DJs of course:
– DJ John Digweed (Live Set) at Avalon Hollywood
– DJ Quik at the Key Club
– Part Time Punks New Year’s Eve Party with DJ Jose Maldonado of Sweet And Tender Hooligans at La Cita
– Bootie NYE at the Echoplex with DJ Paul V., DJ Shyboy, DJ Faroff and R.A.I.D. (Random Acts of Irreverent Dance)
– Funky Sole New Years Eve with Breakestra and DJs Music Man Miles, Clifton AKA Soft Touch at The Echo
And also there are many parties popping up everywhere in town:
– PAUL DEVRO, JAMIE ACID GIRLS, CHUCK INGLISH, AJ ANGLAIS, DJS!N, ROBERT RAIMON ROY, B.C. KINGDOM, ZANDSHE, and SECRET GUESTS in Downtown Los Angeles, and it's free with a reservation at http://rsvp.getwell.la/
– Santoros, Them Howling Bones, Buffalo Blackfooth, Interrupted and tons of guest DJs at The Hear Gallery in Eagle Rock, $5 with rsvp before 9 pm and $10 after 9pm https://www.facebook.com/events/262824890443390
– LA Record & Blundertown present HOT BISCUIT NYE 2012 with Mahssa (b-music / finders keepers), Shannon (la record / blundertown), Chris Zeigler and Kristina B (LA RECORD), DJ Short Shorts! (LA RECORD), N|GHTCH|LDE (Killing Spree), Alexandre (making shapes), Evan Ian, T.K. and hosted by Kerri "Evil" Weavil. $10 w/ RSVP, $20 after 10pm, at 643 Carondelet street, https://www.facebook.com/events/220412958033191
– Rockstar New Year's Eve at Rolling Stone nightclub at Hollywood and Highland: DJ party including rock star go-go dancers, a light show, champagne toast and midnight countdown, $30.
– Las Palmas Block Party, a three-club event with a Hip Hop party at Las Palmas, the House Music scene at Premiere Supper club and Rock music at Angels and Kings. $75, VIP tickets: $125
-Big Bang New Year's Eve with Cobra Starship and Lupe Fiasco hosted by Mario Lopez and Extra TV: There will be live bands, DJs, cirque performers, choreographed dancers and more between Hollywood & Highland Center, $75, $125-150 VIP
– Cleopatra's New Year's Eve Ball at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood with DJs, a giant LED light show and an Egyptian theme, $75, $100 VIP
– The Giant Big Time New Year's Eve celebration at the Shrine Expo Hall in University Park, with Benny Benassi and Dada Life, $65, VIP tickets $155
– NYE on The Queen Mary in Long Beach with live music venues and Disco Lounge, big band, jazz, dueling pianos, a DJ and more, $99.99 and up.
– NYE at Universal City Walk with live music and DJs, free!
But if you have decided you want to have it all, you also can buy a $125-195 ticket depending on options, an Hollywood VIP Pass that gives you VIP access to between 5 and 8 New Year's Eve club parties, including Highlands, Rolling Stone, Egyptian Theatre Courtyard, Playhouse After Hours and the Las Palmas Block Party
If you live outside of LA:
– Alex’s Bar New Year Eve Party With The Aggrolites, Left Alone, Perro Bravo, DJ Dennis Owens, & DJ Oldboy at Alex’s Bar, $17-20
– Junkie XL with Jason Bentley and Cosmic Kids at the Detroit Bar, they promise balloons and champagne at midnight, $25 presale.
– SLIDEBAR NYE with DAN SENA, RADROK, Jeremiah Red/DjJay, free before 10 pm at the Slidebar Café, free before 10pm, $20 After
– ATB with Manufactured Superstars at The Observatory, $100
– La Cave’s NYE Dance Party at La Cave, free!
What a list! That Give Up the Ghost reunion would have interested me, but it is sold out, so I eventually will go to that Buzzzbands New Year Eve at the Satellite, not too bad!
Want to join me in supporting a good cause?
Creem – America’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll Magazine, Reviewed Issue By Issue – December 1980 (Volume 12, Number 7)
Boy Howdy! did Susan Whitall put together a solid team of writers
its own glammy road not travelled
“This was his best performance ever.”
his best song since “I Will See You In Far Off Places”
expected series of punk veterans
I have this thing where I get older but just never wiser
Creem – America’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll Magazine, Reviewed Issue By Issue – November 1980 (Volume 12, Number 6)
an almost indefinable purity