A spent a week in December catching up with 1960s superstars live on stage, folks who should be dangling their Grandkids on their knees but were demanding satisfaction before graying fans and performing unbelievable acts of fierce time bending. All of them were various degrees of good, but, after watching the three acts in tandem, only the Monkees were great.
How is this possible.
1. All three acts had a problem with their biggest hits, to put it bluntly we had heard them once to often. But, with Nesmith back in the fold, the Monkees were playing minor hits as well. Unlike the Who, who were stuck with an opera, and the Stones who were stuck with the same old Great 28, the Monkees ransacked their catalog.
2. Both the Who and the Stones were in Arenas, the Monkees were in a theater. And while the had a similar multi-media presentation, it was much more intimate. You got the best of both worlds.
3. And the corollary, $100 got you the best tix house in the house for the Monkees, it wouldn't get you behind the stage for the Stones.
4. Between the price of the tickets and the worldwide anticipation, the Who and especially the Stones had impossibly high expectations that couldn't be and certainly weren't met. The Monkees couldn't really underperform.
5. And finally, the Stones and the Who are over estimated, the Monkees are under estimated. This time it caught up with the heavy weights.
TaylorSwift’s “The Era Tour” Reaches MetLife Arena, May 28th, 2023, Reviewed
tried way too hard and ended up a crushing bore
US Top Ten Albums Tracking 5-19-23 – 5-25-23
Morgan is the first country star with twelve consecutive weeks at # 1 since Billy Ray Cyrus 30 years ago
Sneak Peaks: Upcoming New Album Releases 6-2-23 – 6-8-23
excellent, deeply melodic, indie rock
Going Steady: New Singles 5-26-23 – 6-1-23 Reviewed
sort of Neil Young without the head cold and in full pop mode.
L.A. Burning, West Coast Concert Picks, May 29th To June 4th
Grace Jones will be at OUTLOUD Music Fest
UK Top 10 Albums 5-26-23 – 6-1-23
outsold the rest of the Official Albums Chart Top 10 combined
UK Top 10 Singles 5-26-23 – 6-1-23
an EDM plonker on top
Dead Babies: Helmut Berger And Martin Amis Leave Us
about how time decays us
The Early Bird: Top New Recorded Releases 5-26-23 – 6-1-23 Reviewed
a major slice of bad news
The Cure At The Hollywood Bowl, Wednesday, May 24th, 2023, Reviewed
The most heart-pulsing moments took us back through the past 45 years.