1. Hit Em Up – 2Pac, The Outlawz – Starting with a spitted out “That’s why I fucked your bitch, you fat mother fucker”, 2Pac takes the Bad Boy crew and blows em away and never better: this time he wipes the smirk off Biggie’s face with a violent, threatening, deadly earnest “Back the fuck up or you’ll get smacked the fuck up.” Result: the murder of two of the biggest pop stars of all time.
2. Seven Year Ache – Rosanne Cash – Rosanne still plays this in concert and you can hear why her big self-penned hit still appeals to her: it is a story song about a marriage in tur,pi; and a bar on every corner when you’re trying to get home. Her greatest moment.
3. Public Image – PiL – With the Sex Pistols in ruins around him, Lydon regrouped and formed the Keith Levine-Jah Wobble Public Image, his greatest achievement and they would release his two greatest albums. This was the opening salvo, a nolle prosequi and a defiant punky smackdown of everything punk had become.
4. Children Of The Revolution – T Rex – We don’t usually mention Marc Bolan among the greatest losses in rock and roll death but really, him and Bowie were neck and neck for awhile there and as this glam rock masterpiece amply proves, sometimes MarcBolan beat everyone odds. Just a tremendous whomping drums ala Gary Glitter and a melody you can’t top.
5. Gloomy Sunday – Billie Holliday – Overkill? To put it mildly. Remember when we were doing the saddest songs ever? This shoulda been first and all I wanna know is… where is the Kanye West song based upon it?
6. Sparkle – Aretha Franklin – The greatest collaboration between Aretha Franklin and Curtis Mayfield ever.
7. New Rose – The Damned – Is she really going out with him? The starting gun for two of the greatest years in rock and roll history.
8. Bang A Gong (Get It On) – T-Rex – A stupendous slice of glam rock and a pop high mark almost unreachable everywhere else. It has the sexiness of the (much later) “Rebel Rebel” and yet an innocence Bowie couldn’t get close to. Who needs TV when you’ve got T Rex?
9. Hypocritical Kiss – Jack white – White is such a fucking nasty piece of work but what can you do? The entire album is magnificent and this American piano based rocker is even more than that.
10. Martha – Rufus Wainwright – Off his best album and written for his sister, Martha awaits his mother’s death from cancer with a beautiful melancholia.
Gunna: 150,300, Abel: 148,000: it amounts to a statistical error
the police owe us an explanation.
sex and skills level the playing field
Fast Money, indeed
“flashes of vivid memories from an ancient time with an ex-lover”
Less push, More flow
350 rock critics, wannabe rock critics, or people with OCD
a new Tupac Shakur exhibit opening downtown LA
a pop LP that isn’t popular is a question mark…
her mama don’t like you and she likes everyone…