1. Are We Still Over – Randy Travis – Teddy Thompson name checked this in his NYT interview. It is wonderful, “Since my phone still aint ringing, I’m guessing it still aint you” is almost as good as Kirsty MaColl’s play on the same concept.
2. A New England – Kirsty MacColl – “When the phone didn”t ring I knew it was you” is the line I’m thinking of.
3. To Friends Old And New – Titus Andronicus – Highlight of a good set on Thursday.
4. Last Night At The Jetty – Panda Bear – Can’t wait for the album… hell, can’t wait for the listening party.
5. Gotta Have Someone – Teddy Thompson – There is a reason Teddy isn’t a star and it sure ain’t his Browne redux vocals. His songs aren’t quite strong enough, he doesn’t quip quite hard enough. Did he jump or was he pushed?
6. If The Kids Are United – Sham 69 – Got it, one hit wonders but a good hit.
7. I Do – Colbie Caillet – Better than “Lucky”
8. Born This Way – Lady Gaga – a blegh “Express Yourself” rewrite. She better have better in the tank.
9. Hope For All – Nick Lowe – Happy Valentine’s Day
10. IT Happened To Me – R.E.M. – “This is not a fable, it is the terrible”. Actually, their best song in a decade, maybe they are reconstructed
he had something to prove and didn’t
“Elton in the house!”
Moses Sumney plays two shows at the Ford
the highest week 1 figure since Ed Sheeran’s Shape Of You
the most disposable things to collect
a covid-19 as break up, post-pandemic as new love metaphor
The Earliest Bird: Top New Recorded Release 10-22-21-10-28-22, Jack White’s “Taking Me Back and “Taking Me Back (Gently)” Reviewed
where an innocent child discovers his parents are from another planet
a pulsing badass number
a window into Paul Simon’s legendary career