Many years ago I saw Aaliyah at Radio City Music Hall -she was one of the opening acts during an R&B extravaganza…. New Edition maybe? Anyway, she sang to back up tapes but she did sing and she was OK if nothing great and now, all these years later, I am really happy I got the opportunity to see her live.
Which has nothing much to do it this post except it is about musicians I haven’t seen live but who are still going and who I’d really like to.
1. Cursive – The Saddlecreek band formed as an offshoot of an Oberst partnership, are a little too strident and a little too arty for my tastes, but I saw Tim Kasher play a couple of songs solo in 2010 and have had the urge to cartch the band. It just hasn’t happened… yet.
2. Paul Anka – This is really weird. I’ve had my eyes on for a locl concert for at least the past ten years and it never ever happens. He is always playing the Westbeth Theatre but never Cafe Carlyle or at least BB King’s. Paul is not merely a fellow country man, he is one of the biggest of the biggest and I have never seen him.
3. Cat Stevens – This would be a dream for me, he never plays the States and when he tries to they arrest him!!!
4. Shirley Bassey – She played Carnege awhile back and for some reason I didn’t get a tix and that’s it. Never before and never again!
5. Bikini Kill – No idea how I entirely missed this band. I mean, I saw sleater Kinney umpteen times, but kept on missing Kathleen’s band. Despiste being obsessed with them circa “Rebel Girl”.
6. Cliff Richard -OK, I am cheating a little here, I did see him once when I saw six years old but since I don’t remember a thing about it, I might as well have never seen him.
7. Englebert Humperinck – Sorta Tom Jones for the unhip, he’s still going and I’m still missing him.
8. Herman Hermits – I’m enery the eiFF i ham NOT
9. Robert Fripp – Singlehandedly made prog-rock bearable but I’ve never managed to see him on stage
10. Robert Wyatt – Or god like genius award winner. Stuck in a wheelchair for decades the former Soft Machine musician is on a whole other level, he remains one of the very best and I would love to see him on stage
Sneak Peaks: Upcoming New Album Releases 6-2-23 – 6-8-23
excellent, deeply melodic, indie rock
Going Steady: New Singles 5-26-23 – 6-1-23 Reviewed
sort of Neil Young without the head cold and in full pop mode.
L.A. Burning, West Coast Concert Picks, May 29th To June 4th
Grace Jones will be at OUTLOUD Music Fest
UK Top 10 Albums 5-26-23 – 6-1-23
outsold the rest of the Official Albums Chart Top 10 combined
UK Top 10 Singles 5-26-23 – 6-1-23
an EDM plonker on top
Dead Babies: Helmut Berger And Martin Amis Leave Us
about how time decays us
The Early Bird: Top New Recorded Releases 5-26-23 – 6-1-23 Reviewed
a major slice of bad news
The Cure At The Hollywood Bowl, Wednesday, May 24th, 2023, Reviewed
The most heart-pulsing moments took us back through the past 45 years.
The River Deep, Mountain High Soulfulness Of Tina Turner
an antidote to toxic male supremacy