1. Love Is Gonna Come At Last – Bobby Womack And Patti Labelle – Womack is on the record as hating rap but the way he uses the chorus like a hook on this song, opening and closing the track with it, is an ancestor of rap for sure – A
2. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get – Morrissey – Going through the Morrissey back catalog yesterday I found a few songs I’d missed the first go round. This ain’t one of them – A
3. XO – Beyonce – This is one of her great songs, completely addictive, high melody quotient, sexy yet not dirty sentiment, the video at Coney Island is pretty awesome as well – A
4. I Don’t Wanna Know – Fleetwood Mac – More than usual, this list represents what I’m listening to for fun! – A-
5. You’ve Got A Way With The Light – Maria Taylor – The thing about Maria’s great album is that it is sweet without being sugary – A
6. I Wanna Be Your Lover – Prince – Don’t know why, but I always thought this was later in his career – A
7. Rock And Roll – Led Zeppelin – Leaves up to its name – A
8. Letter (Unmailed) – The Del Lord’s – Scott called me one of his favorite rock critics in years, but that isn’t why I love this song, I love it because it sounds like the sort of songs Springsteen doesn’t write any more – A
9. Runner – Laura Stevenson – Love her singing here, it gurgles but very strongly – A
10. Let’s Go Fly A Kite – Jason Scharwtzman and company – This couldn’t be better, a breakthrough moment in “Saving Mr. Banks, and Jason Schwartzman as composer Richard Sherman gives the song a huge take off. One of the happiest moments in movies this year – A
Creem – America’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll Magazine, Reviewed Issue By Issue – June 1975 (Volume 7, Number 1)
Smith’s final freelance contribution to Creem.
putting Nigeria on the map
back at # 1 for a third non consecutive week
not a dreamer but a steely eyed businessman and pop musician
Willie Nelson will play at the Palomino fest on Saturday
Creem – America’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll Magazine, Reviewed Issue By Issue – May 1975 (Volume 6, Number 12
Elton John came across as completely engaging
by episode nine, season four, the bastards finally got me sick of Kate!
some hooky and wildly inspired tune
Harry has the summer of his career!