Chaos As 2am Kanye West Concert Cancelled At Webster Hall

Written by | June 6, 2016 5:17 am | No Comments



by Alfred NG and Nicole Hensley, reposted from New York Daily News (here)

Mayhem broke out as more than 4,000 Kanye West fans packed Webster Hall in the East Village early Monday morning for the artist’s surprise show.

After Governors Ball’s headliner was canceled on Sunday morning due to severe weather, the “Yeezus” artist hinted at a secret show at Webster Hall immediately after his Summer Jam concert in New Jersey at about midnight.

In less than five minutes after the hint was tweeted out, thousands of diehard Yeezy fans flocked to the theater that only holds 1,500 people, with lines covering up to two streets around the block.
Anxious Yeezus followers were chanting “Pablo,” “Kanye” and “Back of the Line” to any fans that dared cutting in.

The hype for West grew too large and too fast, quickly growing to cover the entire street, forcing Webster Hall’s management to shut down the show, preventing the “Power” rapper from getting into his own venue. At about 2 a.m., “The Life of Pablo” rapper rolled up, appearing through a sunroof on Third Avenue to a sea of fans.
On Kim rdashian’s Snapchat, she posted a video of her husband saying on the phone, “Call the mayor and shut down the block about four streets and put screens up so they could have a party outside, I heard it was sold out already.”

With the rowdy masses shoving and crushing each other to get closer to West, mayhem broke out in streets.
Fans began climbing on top of dumpsters, scaffolding and mail trucks to get a glimpse of the self-proclaimed creative genius producer. An unlucky car parked outside the venue was covered in handprints and footprints with its roof caved it from more than a dozen anxious West lovers.

“A mob of people were rushing the doors and jumping on cars,” Danielle Jones, a New York University student told the Daily News. Her friends described the following for West like it was a “cult.”
Even as the show was canceled, and West left, fans refused to budge, with officers yelling to the massive crowd, “go home, guys, party’s over” as people climbed down from store roofs.

The lucky few that managed to make it into Webster Hall amidst the chaos were turned around and told to leave the venue.

Police said West quickly left after circling the blocks covered by his fans, and officers were trying to disperse the crowd as quickly and calmly as possible.

Diehard followers chased down West in his van as he drove away on Third Avenue. It took more than two hours after the show was canceled until the street began to empty out.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *